His book, The Star Of Madeleine, is based on the real cop investigation.It stops short of saying who is responsible, but drops clues.He says the McCanns decided she was kidnapped without considering she may have walked out of their holiday flat.Retired inspector Cristovao mysteriously claims two of the couple’s holiday pals – the so-called Tapas Seven – are “fundamental” to discovering the truth about Maddie, four.In the preface he writes:
“For legal reasons I, as the author, cannot tell you what the truth, the reality of this case, is. I can, however, assure you that you can find it here, in the lines of this book.”
The novel ends with two fictional coppers gazing out at the Atlantic Ocean following a huge land search.
Cristovao and four other cops stand trial later this year over the case of another missing girl. He is accused of torturing her mum into a false confession of murder.
Last night Kate and Gerry's spokesman said:
“It’s a great shame that people still want to make money out of Madeleine’s situation.”
DisgustingA friend of the couple, from Rothley, Leics, added: “This man is a suspect himself, having been accused of beating up a woman to make her confess to killing her daughter.“He is hardly a reliable source. To bring out a book about Madeleine is just disgusting.”Cristovao, whose book was launched yesterday, angered the couple last year by claiming they should have been arrested for leaving their kids alone at Praia da Luz.
What do you think of the fact that while Portugal effectively gags two people who have not been charged with any crime, with archaic Secrecy Laws, yet allows and Ex Police Chief to write and publish a lot of spurious unsubstantiated nonsense WHILE HIMSELF AN ARGUIDO, WAITING TO FACE TRIAL OVER ALLEGATIONS THAT HE PLAYED A PART IN THE TORTURE OF ANOTHER PARENT OF ANOTHER MISSING CHILD?
- Do you think this is right?
- Do you think this is just?
- Do you think this is the way a country should behave?
- Do you think Portugal should be part of the EU while allowing this kind of behaviour
- How much longer is this going to go on for?
- How much longer can Portugal get away with treating people so appalling in what appears to be an extreme abuse of their human rights?
- Do you think it is time that Portugal held a full and OPEN inquiry into this bungled investigation?
- Do you think the UK government shold now take a pro-active stance and force Portugal to act over this appalling set of circumstances?
- What do you think? Have Your Say .