OK so this is by The People, but it doesn't make it any the less true! This whole investigation has been bungled from start to finish!
A shock new plan to charge Kate McCann over daughter Maddie's kidnap was last night condemned as "spiteful and shameful".
British legal experts branded bungling Portuguese detectives "Keystone Cops" for considering neglect charges.
And they claimed police wanted to nail grieving Kate to save face after failing to solve a year-old crime that has made headlines round the world.
One lawyer said: "After an inquiry costing millions and unprecedented international help, these Keystone Cops still haven't got a clue what happened to Madeleine.
The investigation was a mess from Day One.
"But rather than admit their abject failure, they've sought to shift the blame and smear the McCanns."
As we revealed last month, cops plan to clear Kate, 40, and hubby Gerry of playing any part in Maddie's disappearance from a holiday flat in Praia da Luz on May 3 last year. But they ARE thinking of charging Kate with endangerment for leaving Maddie and two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie alone in the flat while she and Gerry, 39, dined with pals at a nearby restaurant.
The offence carries a maximum jail term of ten years.
Lawyers pointed out the move comes just a week after the couple accused the Policia Judiciaria of leaking a statement designed to smear GP Kate. She is said to have admitted that on the morning of the abduction, Maddie asked her why she hadn't gone to her when she began crying in the night.
But one lawyer said: "This is spiteful and shameful.
"By charging her with endangering Madeleine they'd be implying, 'It's all the mother's fault for leaving her' - as if that excuses them from not doing enough to find her.
"And it would mean washing their hands of Maddie when there's still a chance of finding her."
The lawyer added: "You have to ask why Kate's being targeted and not Gerry.
"Could it be the police are relying on her frankness in her statement to paint her as a bad mother, to damn her by her own words?"
Kate and cardiologist Gerry, of Rothley, Leics, are both still suspects in the inquiry.
They have co-operated fully with cops throughout the probe.
And they were even considering returning to Portugal to take part in a police reconstruction of events surrounding Maddie's disappearance.
But friends now fear Kate could be at risk of arrest if she goes back.
McCann spokesman Clarence Mitchell said last night: "We haven't heard through official channels if they are considering this charge. But you'd have to ask yourself, 'Why now?'"
My Take On this.
- It appears that yet again we have a leak a day going on
- When is the Portuguese government going to do something about these leaks?
- How many more times have Kate and Gerry McCann going to be forced to endure the utter spitefulness from the PJ?
- When is the arguido status going to be lifted?
- There is obviously a complete lack of evidence, so how much longer can the PJ expect to spin this out?
- What are the PJ waiting for?
- When is the EU going to challenge the Portuguese government to do something about their archaic secrecy laws?
- When is Portugal going to completely review its legal system?
- So many questions surround Portugal and the handling of this investigation, one only has to look at the excellent Daily Mail article to understand this.
- For those of you than haven't read this article either on here (just below or on the Daily mail website,) it makes absolutely shocking reading.